Thursday, March 10, 2011

5 Scams and Security Threats in 2011


I'm trying to get better about posting about scam and security threats I come across, because helping my grandparents out using Grammarly as a scam detector is great, but it's not even a drop in the barrel. So today I'm setting my sights bigger, to the biggest scam and security threats on the horizon in 2011. Of course, I'm no analyst, so I just pulled all the smart stuff from an article on PCWorld so you don't have to take my word for it...

So what're the big things? You can check out the article for the full boat but it seems the big concerns are a mix of the old (fake antivirus scams and PDF-based attacks), the new (App and Social Media scams) and the plain scary (Hacktivism and other war games - probably only a concern for corporations rather than little old me). I covered one Twitter scam last week, and don't be surprised if you see more on the horizon.

The long and short of protecting yourself from these problems seems to be a) use your head, b) make sure you're protected by antivirus, and c) do your research. That's what I'm trying to do, hence this blog, but like I said - check out PCWorld for the full article and more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment