Friday, March 11, 2011

Seniors Are Biggest Risk for Online Scams


Looks like I wasn't too far off the mark with my self-serving attempts to get my granparents to use Grammarly as a scam detector, because recent reports say seniors are a huge target for online scammers. My grandparents are pretty paranoid, sending me all kinds of stuff they think they're protecting me from, but they don't know much about being online and often their paranoia is misplaced or out of date.

One thing I thought was really interesting? Moving from online scams to telephoning people. From a Canadian report:
In the RCMP's combat against elderly fraud, Corporal Louis Robertson said he sees a lot of grand-parent scams, whereby a fraudster poses as an elderly person’s grandchild over the phone asking for an urgent loan.

Grandma, Grandpa - I promise I'll never phone you at 2 AM looking for a loan, so don't fall for it, eh? Read the full story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment